Apr 27, 2010

When in Rome, 2010


When in Rome, 2010
Director: Mark Steven Johnson
Cast: Kristen Bell, Josh Duhamel, Anjelica Huston



Rome in short: Beth is a young, ambitious New Yorker who is completely unlucky in love. However, on a whirlwind trip to Rome, she impulsively steals some coins from a reputed fountain of love, and is then aggressively pursued by a band of suitors.


Preps: one of the hot ones in the local cinema at this point. I was wondering what it was, although I have known for a fact that it has to do with the fountain of love in Rome. Since I have never been to this (supposed to be) the most romantic place in the Europe, I thought the scenery would be taking place there so I can at least fill my eyes with what I once will see for real. And a romantic sort of comedy, that was my expectations. Hence, no movies, but a home set

Stage: home theatre (home laptop, if I am quite sincere).

Reality: Ahhhh, my expectations were too high. Just a glimpse of Rome and there's nothing more to it. However, the story seems intriguing at the first side. I tend to buy some of this romantic stuff the producers sell in these kinds of movies. This in perticular plays with a romantic perception of a fountain of love and the punishment one gets for stealing coins out of them.

However, the perception of love, that follows this deed, is something that keeps me thinking even now, when thinking of it. How many people would take love, even if it came out of a spell? Is love just a spell, or is something more to it. And, can it be created by a powerful wish coming from a coin in the water?

After chasing her whole life (in this sense this is somehow stupid, everyone can see she's really young and has the whole life in front of her) her true love and is exhausted from it and from her career, she doesn't want to settle for true love, coming from a coin. A set of comical scenes of potential lovers chasing her, leave me with a nice feeling in my gut, that I wasn't the one, getting those damn coins out of the fountain. However, the movie fills me with a wish to see Rome for real. Maybe that's all it will give to you too if you see it :)



My personal rate: 5,0 (you won't miss a thing if you don't see it. Definitely a nice thing to do on a dull Sunday afternoon, but in my opinion this genre offers more than this movie shows. Thus, not a recommended movie from my side.)

Rome on IMDB

Official site

No comments:

Post a Comment