Apr 27, 2010

A time to kill, 1996


A time to kill, 1996
Director: Joel Schumacher
Cast: Sandra Bullock, Matthew McConnaughey, Samuel L. Jackson, Kevin Spacey




Time to kill in short: A young lawyer defends a black man accused of murdering two men who raped his 10-year-old daughter, sparking a rebirth of the KKK

Stage: home theatre, TV production

Preps: none - I have seen this masterpiece in 1996 at the local movies and I was so impressed I wanted to see it again somewhere in the future. However, I never had the chance until now, so I grabbed a finer (surprisingly) TV selection on a Sunday evening at home.

The movie is a remarkable piece on the way we are surrounded with prejudice, which we carry from our neighbours, childhood, state we live in (country), maybe ourselves and our fear. The reflection of hatred against dark/black people shocks me to my very bones and frightens the hell out of me. We still have those dark places in the world, where we all behave like animals - a piece of that is embedded in this movie. There are animals inside of each person (different species), which awaken, when threatened, when provoked or when they see a bigger point in it. And they cannot be controlled.

Things around black issues spread in this movie like plague. The action revolving around the case is astounding, the crying is real and the feelings of disgust run through my veins. The cast is brilliant, from Samuel, to Kevin Spacey and furthermore, to the selected team on the justice side. The story about the young girl, who was raped, at the final lawyer speech, shocks every person in that court and also every individual behind the screen, watching this movie.

It will rock your sympathy, it will make you think about the eternity and who are those that really deserve to live and die. It did in my case.


My personal rating: 9,0 (pure rage and dissappointment upon human cruelty will shock your nerves)


Time to kill on IMDB

No comments:

Post a Comment