Oct 30, 2010

Eat, Pray, Love, 2010


Eat, Pray, Love, 2010
Director: Ryan Murphy
Cast: Julia Roberts, Billy Crudup, Viola Davis


Eat, Pray, Love in short: Liz Gilbert (Roberts) had everything a modern woman is supposed to dream of having - a husband, a house, a successful career - yet like so many others, she found herself lost, confused, and searching for what she really wanted in life. Newly divorced and at a crossroads, Gilbert steps out of her comfort zone, risking everything to change her life, embarking on a journey around the world that becomes a quest for self-discovery. In her travels, she discovers the true pleasure of nourishment by eating in Italy; the power of prayer in India, and, finally and unexpectedly, the inner peace and balance of true love in Bali.


Stage: Home theatre

Preps: I know the book - by its notoriousness, not because I read it. And a big fuss around this piece, media, winning prize games (trips to Bali, India, Italy) make it a nifty experience to see this on screen. And Roberts - the woman with a dashing smile and a distinctive laugh. A good choice.


Reality: Well, I am not wrong about Roberts. She never dissappoints me. The movie is another perspective. A bit too long to my taste. As if the director wanted to pull something more out of it (which never arrives).
One of the most important thoughts I have when watching this - it impersonates me a bit also. Everyone wants to keep as much as possible of their comfort zone - themselves in a relationship they have and the fight between losing what you think defines you and trading it for something you do together with the spouse can sometimes be a very ungrateful trade. Nevertheless, the movie emphasizes the importance of the change of environment, that is supposed to give you alternative perspective and a boost to continue. Or at least ease your mind a bit.
I don't think the movie gives any answers, more the questions each should ask himself honestly. Is this the way my life is going.. do I need to change it and what is the right path to change it. Is a man really the goal for a woman to have until her death. And a family and children? The movie implies this is the case. That you aren't normal if you are in your middle ages, not having a man (or a woman) nore children. In my opinion it's a belief campaign that someone tried to impose to the viewers (or readers for that matter). So what are the real goals one should have in life and where to settle.. is it all to be taken as a game or something serious?
I adore the scenery. The marketing was well built on this, for the movie. I think it had more potential and the director should have abused this some more.
A good one, made me think a lot about myself. And if this was the purpose of the movie, well done. As for the piece itself - nothing special really.

My personal rating: 8,0 (for the thinking I did afterwards and while watching the movie and the beautiful scenery).



Eat, Pray, Love on iMDBEat, Pray, Love official page

No comments:

Post a Comment