Oct 17, 2010

Piranha, 2010


Piranha, 2010
Director: Alexandre Aja
Cast: Elisabeth Shue, Richard Dreyfuss, Ving Rhames



Piranha in short: After a sudden underwater tremor sets free scores of the prehistoric man-eating fish, an unlikely group of strangers must band together to stop themselves from becoming fish food for the area's new razor-toothed residents.

Stage: home theatre (invited to see slovene movie Piran, which turned out to be Piranha (not paying attention while I was giving the name of the movie I really wanted to see, didn't turn out as expected)


Preps: I was anxious to see Piran so I was in the mood the whole day. The dissappointment when finding out I was seeing Piranha, was undescribable :) Nevertheless, I am somehow impressed with the lead roles and decide to try it out.


Reality: One of the worst movies in this period (when I am seeing a lot of them). At first I didn't connect the earthquake and the piranhas - why are they so hystoric? In no imagination I would expect some dinosaur piranhas to appear and I didn't connect in the movie either.

The whole piece seems like taken from the 80's, when the movies about those creatures were really popular and created a big buzz how deadly piranhas are. In fact, none of the movies claims other than they will eat you alive as soon as you step into the water, regardless of their size, number, etc. The truth unfortunately for the all paranoid viewers, is something completely different. In my opinion, the piranhas were unfortunately disclosed as one of the most dangerous animals on this planet, thanks to those kind of movies. In philosophical aspect, I couldn't be more disturbed about misjustice being created this way.

In no way, this movie differs from all the stupid ones on this topic, made 20 years ago. A lot of people in the water and dynosaurus-like fish coming to eat them. A lot of stunts here never knew what their role was, the scenographer didn't pick the right puppets for the filming (obviously you see puppets instead of human beings), the scenery is so underestimating towards the spectator.. obviously there's nothing in this movie worth seeing, unless you were a fan of those movies at that point they were really popular. It always amazes me that actors that I normally respect (Shue, for instance), pick something like this to be in their biography or their cast trivia. I strongly dislike the movie and far from recommendation from my side.

My personal rating: 0 (stupid thing to see, unlikely to be likeable to any person..)


Piranha on IMDB

No comments:

Post a Comment