Mar 26, 2010

The Gladiator, 2000



Gladiator, 2000
Director: Ridley Scott
Cast: Russel Crowe, Joaquin Phoenix




Scene: home theatre

Genre: hystorical drama/action/adventure


Short synopsis: When a Roman general is betrayed and his family murdered by a corrupt prince, he comes to Rome as a gladiator to seek revenge.


Preps: Finally I get to see it again, this time in home theatre in dolby, how cool is that. One of the greatest ones, in terms of movie technique, also a strong story that keeps your feet burning long after seeing this.


Reality: Scott makes a dramatic hystorical action movie, one of the greatest in the last 15 years that I've seen. As I see it for the fifth or sixth time, I still find a lot to look at, a lot that I haven't seen yet and again, the remarkable strong story inspires me. I love hystorical movies, and if they are packed in such a good photography/scenery/costumes, the better cannot get, I can assure you. The music is also brilliant, it brings out the best from the scenes. If I compare it to Troy, the "true" story about the long fight, in my opinion, this one will be closer to balkan people - from my side of the continent, as it is a struggle for life, justice, war and piece, love and conquer of the kingdom. The politics in its rotten roots. And the act of Phoenix (you have to hate him, but he acts brilliant) and Crowe is inspiring.


My personal favourite quote: What we do in life, echoes in eternity
I even have that on my google account ;)

My personal rating: 9,5 (one I have to see every now and then. Everyone wants to be him at least once in a while).



Gladiator on IMDB
Gladiator official site

No comments:

Post a Comment