Mar 10, 2010

Alvin and the Chipmunks 2, The Squeakquel, 2009


Alvin and the Chipmunks 2; The Squeakquel, 2009
Director: Betty Thomas
Cast: Zachary Levi, David Cross, Jason Lee
Voices:Jesse McCartney, Matthey Gray Grubler, Justin Long




Short synopsis: The world famous singing pre-teen chipmunk trio return to contend with the pressures of school, celebrity, and a rival female music group known as The Chipettes


Stage: Home theatre
Preps: I am a big fan of Disney cartoons and I follow new age ones with a bit of skepticism. However, I loved the first part of this cartoon because of the funny voices. A good selection for a Sunday, I believed.


Reality: The chipmunks are still cute. As predicted, I loved it as a Sunday selection for a movie, and to one to be waking up with. All the children will love the return of the chipmunks and their active lives.

However, the cartoon reflects some of the things you can see in a supreme cartoon (if you compare it with this one - Ice Age 3). In third part of Ice Age, the director decided to put some romance in it and added a female squirrel. The same thing happens here - however, still cute enough for me to like the scenes and the comedy input the little ones gave in the cartoon.

I suppose that even if I don't really like the outlook of the cartoons nowadays, the humour in them can be indeed upgraded and adult. The cartoon genre is meant for children, however in the last decade I believe they brought it closer to adult target audience, simply by adding the black humour, irony and really clever dialogues. Truly amazing upgrades were for instance done in Ice Age, Shrek, Monsters and some clones of the above mentioned. The Alvin and the Chipmunks is a good one - not really a splendid, but a decent picturesque cartoon.

My personal rate: 6,5 (truly enjoyable, yet nothing really thrilling about it. If you like cartoons, see it at home ;)


Alvin on IMDB
Get munked with Alvin on their official site

No comments:

Post a Comment