Mar 20, 2010

Edge of Darkness, 2010


Edge of Darkness, 2010
Director: Martin Campbell
Cast: Mel Gibson, Ray Winstone, Danny Huston, Bojana Novakovic



Stage: Home theatre

Edge and the darkness in short: As homicide detective Thomas Craven investigates the death of his activist daughter, he uncovers not only her secret life, but a corporate cover-up and government collusion that attracts an agent tasked with cleaning up the evidence.

Preps:
It's running currently at our theatres, so I have seen the trailer. Seemed like one of the Bourne trilogy movies, or somehow connected to the genre I love usually; investigation of a homicide, cops running around, corrupted governmental issues, etc. Something seemed worth seeing. And I haven't seen something really good from Gibson in a long time.


Reality: The beginning is fascinating, powerful, gets your adrenalin down your veins. Discovery of a secret life a beloved daughter had, is intriguing, the thin red line of corruptness increases my heartbeat. But in the other half the movie lost me. I was actually bored and thought of leaving it at the first initial feeling, removing the thing from my disk and forget about it.

The story is sad, but not so powerful. The action is like my biorhythm - increasing and falling again, the scenes don't have the power to keep me in front of the TV. Thank god I didn't watch this in the cinema.

However, you will find it good to see that some people (that we aren't aware of) are actually investigating cases we never get to see or hear about. The story around father and daughter (the past deeds) could have been separately shown and go even deeper, in this case I would feel more connected to all of this. And the understanding of the movie story -- hmmm, you need to be alert all time. Because if you aren't, you lose it.


My personal rating: 5,0 (I did have a hunch this was to be a good one, but it lost me in the second half. Not one of the best Gibson casts anyway. And he's become a bit old :)



Darkness on IMDB

No comments:

Post a Comment