Nov 19, 2010

Roma / Rome, 1972


Roma / Rome, 1972
Director: Federico Fellini
Cast: Peter Gonzales Falcon, Fiona Florence, Pia de Doses




Roma in short: A virtually plotless, gaudy, impressionistic portrait of Rome through the eyes of one of its most famous citizens. blending autobiography (a reconstruction of Fellini's own arrival in Rome during the Mussolini years; a trip to a brothel and a music-hall) with scenes from present-day Roman life (a massive traffic jam on the autostrada; a raucous journey through Rome after dark; following an archaeological team through the site of the Rome subways; an unforgettable ecclesiastical fashion show)


Preps: As I am generally a fan of Fellini's work, I think this one shouldn't get pass my critical eye. And as the festival turns slowly to its end, my choice should be at least something in historical eyes. Hence, I think this might be a cool thing to see.


Reality: The pictures of Rome are somehow neglected in my eyes. I expected too much, reading about this movie and in my opinion it doesn't offer as much as it is promised in the plot. The italians are italians - in the movie they are too loud for me, but emotional and filled with family love and family passion. Where nothing else comes to the every day routine but food and talking. And passing through the town to another place to drink another drink or eat something else. And pasta pasta pasta. A thin red dot throughout the movie.

The piece is in my opinion overrated. The story doesn't even begin in the first 45 minutes. On the other hand, as it is a picturesque image of Rome, maybe I should indulge in this instead of trying to seek a story no matter what. In a way I am impressed, but to be quite sincere, no interest in perticular evolves within watching this. Maybe you need to be in the right mood to see this. Or my preference simply goes to a solid story and a good background. In this movie I sense, besides photography, there's nothing really special. The scenery of Rome is amazing as it is and praised in the movie. And I don't really like the changes present/past, they don't seem to fit into my perspective and are like a bad theatre show - badly played.


My personal rating: 4,0
(for the sake of beautiful and thoughtful scenery. Maybe a must see for Fellini's admirers, however I didn't indulge into this piece in perticular. And the voices, the loud voices just made me nervous)


Roma on IMDB

No comments:

Post a Comment