May 8, 2010

Veronica decides to die, 2009


Veronica decides to die, 2009 (based on Paolo Coelho's piece)
Director: Emily Young
Cast: Sarah Michelle Gellar, Jonathan Tucker, Erika Christensen





Veronica in short: The story centers on Veronika, a woman in her mid twenties who appears to have everything: good looks, good job and a great life ahead of her. Yet she decides to end her own life. She is unsuccessful and awakens in a mental hospital where she learns that she a short time to live. However in the hospital she meets people who are only 'insane' because they don't always follow society's rules. With little left to lose, Veronika embarks on a journey on which she frees herself to experience relationships and emotions and ultimately discovers what it means to live.

Stage: home cinema

Preps: I heard it to be an awful piece, however due to the fact that it has been filmed in Ljubljana, my home town, it sparkles my interest. I truly want to see Ljubljana in a movie, so I guess this must be a main driver for seeing this.


Reality: I hate this one. The topic is so serious, maybe I am not in the right mood to watch it and maybe I have a problem with suicides - or people that feel the need to do it. I just cannot help seeing this another way than selfish.

The movie is static, nothing in perticular happening, the evolvement in the mental institution is too slow, people are too weird. You cannot have sane people (I mean all of them) in a mental institution, as the movie implies. Eventually someone would have noticed them. All mental institutions have their grey zones (see Shutter Island to know what I am implying to), however they are not black or white.

I didn't see Ljubljana as I expected. It took me about 45 minutes to stop watching this. The cast wasn't great at all, more pathetic than great indeed. And no, I don't recommend it. Do something more useful with your time :=)The only thing you can be perfectly sure about is that if you are in a depressive mode, the movie will increase your level of depression.


My personal rating: 0 (nothing there to judge.. )


Veronica on IMDB
Veronica's official site

No comments:

Post a Comment