May 19, 2010

The cove, 2009


The Cove, 2009 - oscar winner for documentary 2009!
Director: Louie Psihoyos
Cast: Joe Chisholm, Mandy Rae Cruishank, Charles Hambleton




Cove in short: Using state-of-the-art equipment, a group of activists, led by renowned dolphin trainer Ric O'Barry, infiltrate a cove near Taijii, Japan to expose both a shocking instance of animal abuse and a serious threat to human health.


Stage: Local cinema Dvor

Preps: I have seen the trailer. It's the oscar winner in documentary for this year - due to my experience they are good ones that got that. However, I know it's about the massacre of the dolphins. And I know I cannot stand animal torture on screen. So I am a bit sceptical when going to see this with a friend. She is a dolphin fan and claims to have a certain connection with them. I try to warn her, however, she feels she needs to see it. So there we went..



Reality: I am struck as of lightning by this piece. Raw material, absolutely no hard work in putting it together (or so it seems). But in spite this fact, this movie has a message. So profound and deep it doesn't need any fancy material behind it. The truth about the animal abuse /torture/ massacre is so hurtful my eyes are like waterfalls. I think I cry for at least half of the movie. I cannot think about how evil the human race is.. we are violent and take everything from the nature, regardless if we need it, regardless of the consequences. Like grasshoppers, we take and take and kill and take, and never give anything back to it. It's so sad it makes me think about this the whole time and days after the movie. I believe I am bursting with tears as I go to sleep because the cruel footage those brave people took to take a stand against Japanese, well, that footage just kills me parallel to poor dolphins.

It angers me that it's taken so many people and so much time to put something like this public. All because of the politics and its interests. It's really sad that such things get to happen and not only that, the responsible people get by when this happens. The whole massacre in the Cove is just a metaphore for all murders of this kind happening all over the world. I am shutting my eyes every now and then, I cannot stand the pain when seeing poor creatures killed.

The movie leaves me thinking about the world and the place we are leaving to our kids. Absolutely nothing great about it. Sadly enough..

So, what can you do about it? Go to their webpage - see link below! and make a stand. The more people know about this, the bigger pressure can be made to politics. See this movie not because it's sad - It will kill you in your heart, but because it's right to care!

Remember this : Richard O'Barry: If you aren't an activist you're an inactivist



My personal rating: 7,5 (it shocked me and made me cry almost half of the movie. But the high rating is not because of that. It's because I care and I would like more and more people to see this masacre and at least judge their stand in this matter)



Cove on IMDB
Where can you get more info? Takepart.com/thecove or here

Official site of the movie

No comments:

Post a Comment