May 16, 2010

Robin Hood, 2010


Robin Hood, 2010
Director: Ridley Scott
Cast: Kate Blanchett, Russel Crowe, Max von Sydow, William Hurt





Robin in short:Oscar winner Russell Crowe stars as the legendary figure known by generations as Robin Hood, whose exploits have endured in popular mythology and ignited the imagination of those who share his spirit of adventure and righteousness. In 13th century England, Robin and his band of marauders confront corruption in a local village and lead an uprising against the crown that will forever alter the balance of world power. And whether thief or hero, one man from humble beginnings will become an eternal symbol of freedom for his people.


Stage: Local colloseum /theatre

Preps: I am a bit skeptical in sense of not trying to expect too much (I have done a mistake like this in seeing Sherlock Holmes). I am definitely a fan of idea of Robin Hood, but another remake of something we saw so many times already? Russel Crowe gives me hope this will be something good, also Ridley Scott, one of my favourite directors. I definitely want to see this at the movies.


Reality: One of the best pieces I saw, definitely for the last decade. Definitely best movie of the year in my eyes so far, in this genre in perticular. Scott did a great job here. The first surprise derives from the fact, that you see the pre-story of Robin Hood and not the one we saw animated, in 10 remakes. You get to see where Hood really derives from, how the idea with the taxes went (even for someone that didn't really study hard at hystory class the idea would be clarified now).

I am amazed by the action, by dialogues, by costumography, scenography and also, the selection of the music. I finally get to know where Little John, Alan d'ale and Fryer Tuck come from. They are realistic, and so is Robin Hood. Since I expected a similar character as in Gladiator, I am more than satisfied. This is a type of cast Crowe should really look for in the future, it suits him perfectly. Blanchett also has an important and independent role here, I am amazed by the perfection her irony is selected and praised then by people that surround her.Take this for instance (what she tells to Locksley when he is sleeping in the same room): I sleep with a dagger. If you ever move as to touch me, I will sever your manhood.

The idea of waiting for a man for 10 years, because he's fighting for the king, is real for that time, and gives me shivers as I see directly how it can be manifested and then how much damage a war can do to the people, the land and moral in general.

The movie is definitely a masterpiece on several levels. The two hours and a half pass by in a minute. And I want to see it again and again. If you didn't know what to do with the sea and the water fights when you saw the trailer (in sense - didn't Robin Hood live in the forest?!?!) - well, Scott makes perfect sense out of this. And sets political dilemmas (France over GB) in front.

Definitely something I will see again. And what is the fine tune in the movie? Rise, and rise again. Until lambs become lions.


My personal rating: 10 (nothing to add, I would just go to see it again right after I saw it. Excellent)


Robin Hood on IMDB
Official sites

No comments:

Post a Comment