Jul 9, 2010

A nightmare on Elm Street, 2010


A nightmare on Elm Street, 2010
Director: Samuel Bayer
Cast:Jackie Earle Haley, Kyle Gallner, Rooney Mara





Nightmare in short: A re-imagining of the horror icon Freddy Krueger, a serial-killer who wields a glove with four blades embedded in the fingers and kills people in their dreams, resulting in their real death in reality.

Stage: local theatre

Preps: Trailer doesn't interest me. However, one of my friends claims she needs to see this as sometimes remakes are better than original. I wasn't that hot on original, so I am still not persuaded. But I figure, how bad can it be and go to see it.


Reality: Uff, a huge dissappointment. The nightmare is a nightmare to watch. Definitely too long for me, I couldn't wait to get out of the theatre. It took me half of the movie to get the idea, why are they being slaughtered (or in this sense, where did this guy come from and what does he feed of).

I strongly believe that the music is the main tool to create a good horror. Combined with a strong imagination of the viewers you can achieve a masterpiece and not have that much blood on the screen. In this sense, you cannot beat Hitchcock, definitely. Well, the nightmare on Elm Street is nowhere near him. The music doesn't play a role, neither does the dialogue. The story remains in the clouds and drags a bit of my attention right somewhere in the middle of the movie - just when I wanted to get a beer for myself.

Nothing really cool to say about this movie. Why did this guy wait until the kids are grown up - the question remains unanswered. Why did the director want to make this movie? God knows. I would prohibit these kinds of projects. And of course, there will be a sequel. No doubt about it. Still noone knows why.

Do yourself a big favour and watch something else. This piece is not worth of your time!


My personal rating: 1,5 (when I get the story the 20 minutes in the between seem more interesting and help me survive until the end. Also not a complete zero for a nice try of upgrading the original, even though it fails me in so many ways)

Nightmare on IMDB

Nightmare's official page

No comments:

Post a Comment