Jul 19, 2010

The Ghost Writer, 2010


The Ghost Writer, 2010
Director: Roman Polanski
Cast: Ewan McGregor, Kim Cattrall, Pierce Brosnan



The Ghost Writer in short: A ghostwriter hired to complete the memoirs of a former British prime minister uncovers secrets that put his own life in jeopardy.


Stage: Home theatre

Preps: Wanted to see a good movie in the genre. Unfortunately I don't know anything about it - just some good critics and some whispering around about the movie, that has come in the last 14 days in the cinema.


Reality: One of the moments that you seriously think about losing the movie as soon as possible. Because you don't have a clue what you are watching. I watched it until the 2/3 but after that I figured it wasn't worth the time and effort of trying to figure out what the game is about.

I believe that every now and then a director makes a wrong move or makes something that gives you great admiration of his/her previous works. I admire Polanski in this sense. Before watching and writing a review, I didn't have a clue he was the director. Maybe I would watch it until the end for the sake of respect I have for his work. The ghost writer failed me in every single line. The script was horrible, the genre picked (ok, this might have been the producer's mistake or the local cinema mistake while making a choice where to place the movie) - thriller? The person that decided this one to be a thriller, obviously doesn't know what one is. Before I accept that we are going to watch a political drama (just for the record, I adore good ones!), I am struggling inside with my anger of the movie. Am I having too much expectations? And what is Kim Cattrall doing in there? At first I am not convinced even that it's her. However, I see the way she flirts, does her fingernails, moves the hips.. yep, it's her. Such a shame - noone will ever see her any different than the role she played in the Sex in the City - Amanda. Even if she can change the accent and play a "serious role", I will always combine her with the Amanda image.

All in all, the movie wasn't worth my time. Maybe you need to be in a special mind to watch it and even enjoy it. The story fades, the scenes are static, the cast is awful, I don't suppose I have anything positive to say about it. Hence, erase and forget about it.


My personal rating: 2,0 (for the sake of seeing Brosnan again and seeing Cattrall make her move in the real cinema world. Apart from that, a huge dissappointment)
Ghost writer on IMDB


Ghost's home page

No comments:

Post a Comment