Jun 22, 2010

Sex and the City 2, 2010


Sex and the City 2, 2010
Director: Michael Patrick King
Cast: Sarah Jessica Parker, Kristin Davis, Cynthia Nixon, Kim Catrall




Stage: Local theatre near my job, Planet Tuš (got an amazing price for the tickets when going with the girls from my work!)

Sex and the City in short: While wrestling with the pressures of life, love, and work in Manhattan, Carrie, Miranda, and Charlotte join Samantha for a trip to Morocco, where Samantha's ex is filming a new movie.

Preps: Hmmmm.. I am not really excited about this. I told several times I don't buy sequels, at least not from unknown directors. And this one smells like glamour, but nothing more. So I expect to see a parade of shoes and clothes without a real story to tell or some excitement when I leave the theatre. Why are all the girlfriends I have so anxious to see this piece? Well, least it will probably get me a new set of ideas for evening gowns or shoes. Maybe that's worth something after all.


Reality:
Well.. it's a bit better than I expected. I thought it would be all about fashion, but I have to admit I am impressed by the scenery, the vivid colours and the costumography. The scenes, however, and the script, is somehow naive and reflects an underestimation of the viewer. The problems the girls face, are real, however, the movie doesn't offer any solutions and leads to the ending where all the milk is white and the sky is blue and everything falls into its place. In real world, you don't get to live like this and you don't get the solution to your problems that easy.

The huge problem of being a branded movie is that you need to wear brands on and on and change them constantly. I believe the girls exchange at least 100 different clothes and pairs of shoes in the movie, which suits well to the consumer industry, but offers extremely poor sight to the viewer. So all the girls rush after the movie into the shops. Nothing extremely wrong about this - I did it also, but in my opinion the movie could offer a lot more. The stories could have evolved and some alternative solutions or philosophies could be offered. But that would be too hard on the viewers that definitely have to "check out", what is in nowadays and what is expected to be worn at the parties. And I have to admit, in this field I give the director a straight 10. From the perspective, what I gained from the movie and what philosophy it awoke, a straight 1. Maybe it shouldn't be a sequel, but in my opinion it will be followed by number 3.

What is marriage all about? The movie offers a trivial solution: Me and you, just us two. How to make it work all the time? I wonder, when I leave the cinema..

P.s. the girls are extremely old. I cannot get over their old skin and their worn out eyes. Beautiful still, but old. How do they look without the glamour? I don't dare to estimate..



My personal rating: 4,0
(well, a decent fashion movie. But nothing more. Some of the ideas you might have in married life. But no solutions offered unfortunately. A small dissappointment, however, a bit better than I expected)

Sex and the City 2 on IMDB

The official site of the movie

My favourite brand of the shoes (yes, I am a fanatic like Carrie Bradshaw)

No comments:

Post a Comment