May 22, 2011

Pirates of the Carribean: On Stranger Tides, 2011


Pirates of the Carribean: On Stranger Tides, 2011
Director: Rob Marshall
Cast: Johnny Depp, Penelope Cruz, Ian McShane, Geoffrey Rush




Stage: Local theatre, 3D with glasses (can you imagine the fact that you pay extra for the 3D show and after that, you still need to pay for the glasses before you enter the theatre? Feels like an undeveloped state..)

Pirates in short: Captain Jack Sparrow (Depp) crosses paths with a woman from his past (Cruz), and he's not sure if it's love -- or if she's a ruthless con artist who's using him to find the fabled Fountain of Youth. When she forces him aboard the Queen Anne's Revenge, the ship of the formidable pirate Blackbeard (McShane), Jack finds himself on an unexpected adventure in which he doesn't know who to fear more: Blackbeard or the woman from his past.


Preps: Wow, is it the fourth in the row? So silent launch, I accidentally found the news about the premiere on the local news. I cannot believe it - I think I heard some rumours in this week. I am anxious to get my hands on this piece, as I am a huge fan of Carribean Pirates, not to say Johnny Depp as first obviously ;)


Reality: I feel like I'm stuck in a cartoon. And I never want to be drug out of this one. Sparrow remains Sparrow, the mistery they are solving this time seems similar, the dame is another and main villains are also somewhat same.
What makes this a masterpiece? Well, the bundle, I guess. The music is stimulating and makes you want to dance while you are watching. The move Sparrow keeps making makes me want to repeat it, same as some fans want to still repeat Jackson's moves :)
It is the same and at this point, I think I know it by heart. It just gives an add on to all the fights.

The humour is also one of the main characters of the movie. You need to get into the mood "everything is possible", to cope with this piece. I think that in any other brain mindset you will get lost in all the doubtful stories, all the actions of stealing something right before your nose. And of course, all get well and noone will get hurt. If not submerged to the pirate's laws :)

In Slovenia, we have a good comic book by Miki Muster. When I was young, I wanted to read this constantly. And I could never get fed up by those three characters. Stories similar, fights changed only in scene positioning, but solid good humour and fun to read. The same feeling I have here with the saga of the Pirates - I am absolutely a fan, although I admit it's not rocket science now with the fourth sequel. Now, as we are marketeered by the first piece and the audience usually gets accomodated with the first part (and normally hates the other parts), in this case, you cannot hate this part. It is just as fun to watch as the first one. But I do admit the first one was a hit in the heart for most of the viewers, including me. The scenery couldn't be more magical - most of the scenes were shot in the jungle of Dominica. And some of Photo Shop helps, of course. Still, you will enjoy your ride with the Pirates, if you liked the first parts.


My personal rate: 6,0 (a good piece, especially regarding the fact that it's the fourth in the row - normalwise, the fun and the quality staggers when the director wants to make a second last sentence or even third or fourth).


Pirates on IMDB

Pirates official home page

No comments:

Post a Comment