Apr 29, 2011

Somewhere, 2010


Somewhere, 2010
Director: Sofia Coppola
Cast: Stephen Dorff, Elle Fanning, Chris Pontius



Stage: Local movie Theatre in Ljubljana district Vič


Somewhere in short: Hollywood actor Johnny Marco, nested in his luxury hotel of choice, is a stimulated man. Drinking, parties and women keep a creeping boredom under wraps in between jobs. He is the occasional father of a bright girl, Cleo, who may be spoiled but doesn't act it. When Cleo's mother drops her off and leaves town, Johnny brings her along for the ride, but can he fit an 11-year-old girl into his privileged lifestyle?

Preps: Well I have heard a lot of good critics speaking about this piece - in a good way. Besides, Coppola is a famous name and I wanted to see this at Liffe, the movie festival, last November, but I never got the tickets. Now, finally, a chance to induge this.


Reality: Another one of the miserable ones. The movie, I mean. I run out of the cinema almost. If I had this one on my disk, it wouldn't have survived the first 30 minutes. Now, considering I am sitting in the theatre with two of my girlfriends, I have a bit more patience to see if anything happens. In my opinion, nothing. The world depicted is not real. It cannot go like this, even if you are a famous actor. The drive I see within the movie could be or derive from the sense of remorse for leading such a life once you are confronted with your kid, you left with your previous spouse. Nevertheless, the world where a famous actor shows his behind on the balcony and the girls are going mad about it - showing their tits, ass, and having sex at a glance, is not the one I am familiar with. Or I acknowledge.

The movie is too static and doesn't show the energy, nor the drive, vision, call it whatever you might want to. The lead actor, as gorgeous as he is, gets on my nerve with every minute more he spends on the stage. The others are so pale that I even cannot notice a part where they start really playing. I am dissappointed in many ways, I really expected more from the movie Coppola made. But, they cannot all come out as genious ones, true? The only philosophy I can follow is the one where you think about whether it's worth giving up your normal life and trade it off for some actor's fake life. Bad in any way I think about it.

Don't watch it. Neither a showoff of a Hollywood life, nor a showoff of a life of a modern Hollywood James Bond. For this is what I suspect the main lead actor is trying to pull off. In my opinion, a bad failure.


My personal rate: 0 (no comment, a total waste of time).


SOmewhere on IMDB

No comments:

Post a Comment