Apr 29, 2011

Chain Letter, 2010


Chain letter, 2010
Director: Deon Taylor
Cast: Keith David, Nikki Reed, Brad Dourif


Stage: Home theatre, late at night, when you are figuring what to do with no sleep ahead of you.


Chain Letter in short: Six friends receive a mysterious chain letter via text messaging and in their email accounts from a maniac who's hunting down teenagers who fail to forward his online chain letter. Who knew they should take the threats in the chain letter seriously? Or that chain letters using the teens' favorite technologies to track them can kill? This maniacal game pits friend against friend as they race to beat rules that seem impossible to escape. Break the chain, lose a life. Do you pass it on? Does friendship mean anything?



Preps: One in the row to watch on the disk, waiting for its turn. Well, maybe it is about time.



Reality: It is about time to get rid of this horrible piece of junk out of my disk. The truth is, that this is one of the worst pieces I have ever seen. Without a vision, clear idea where it's going (ok, besides murders), the sane mind idea you should get home with after seeing this,.. ( I could go on forever). It lacks cast, dialogues, sanity, it lacks soul. I am struggling to get a point of all the killing and all the murders. Is it really just because of a stupid mail? What kind of a reason to be assasinated is that? Yuk, I would delete it as fast as I could. Still, I watched till its end, figuring something else.

The movie poses an interesting and real idea about modern communication tools being able to hurt us. I don't believe in any dream that a junk e-mail can bring you fortune or put you in dispair. However, I do believe it has an alienating effect on people. Being able to be wherever you can in a second, speak with whom you prefer, even if the person is on the other part of the world - those are just a few to mention among numerous pluses modern world brings. Now, how about being able to track all people all the time? And access their personal data, photos, etc.. all thru this wonderworld of internet. I believe that in its core the movie wanted to reflect some of possible scenarios because exposing your personal data worldwide. Even though tempting, it might get you into trouble.

As said, this is one of the most shitty movies I have ever seen and in no wonderworld I would go and watch it again. I don't recommend it to you, either. However, do think about how vulnerable you might become just because of exposing more and more online. Least worth considering, as it might come to be a worldwide problem or challenge, depends on the way you look at it.


My personal rate: 1,0 (for the sake of thinking about this, not for the movie).


Chain Letter on IMDB

No comments:

Post a Comment