Jan 31, 2010

It's complicated, 2009


It's complicated, 2009
Director: Nancy Meyers
Cast: Meryl Streep, Alec Baldwin, Steve Martin




Complicated in short: During her son's college graduation, Jane hooks up with her ex-husband, Jake, who's married to a younger woman...


Preps: I was in a spirit to lift up my behind and go to the movies. Just scrolled what went on at our theatres and decided on cast basis. I generally like Meryl Streep, Alec used to be one hell of a guy and an actor. I really don't like Steve Martin, but I think I remembered the trailer, where he appeared as a weirdo, which might just suit him. So thumbs up, I am going to see this. Just a quick rewind as I don't remember the trailer that well. Is it about old romance or marriage getting the flames back? I just don't seem to remember.




Reality: It's one of the cutest movies in the near past (if a movie can be cute anyway). I admire Meryl's performance and I am absolutely crazy about the idea that a woman follows her youth dreams after a terrible divorce. And enjoys it and becomes a professional. The twist, however, isn't in putting a life back together, but in a crazy black-humour action in shape of a love affair, she's having with her ex-husband, now married to the woman he had an affair with (and that cost him his marriage).

Some beautifully put dialogues, fine sarcastic feelings you get when watching it. Also some cheasy stuff with the non-grown up kids, that simply look still as if they had 12 years (also with the reactions they pull out).
And, getting back to the basics with weed and being high on it, no bikini wax (She has gone native). Very amusing and in some scenes, inspiring. Of course, it had to also add some american mumbo jumbo - parents just aren't invited on the juvenile party (in a sense party is being organized now); kids at 21 just don't sleep in the same bed and cry, etc.

However, I enjoyed the complication ex-ex being together, one of them cheating the wife he has now to be with his ex. Truly divorced with benefits. Enjoyed for the funny feeling we all nurture deep inside.. you don't get to find the soul mate again and again. Usually it's just one.





And.. Steve Martin is still a weirdo to me. Here he plays a nerdy architect and the director couldn't put it more beautifully even if I told her how he looks in my imagination. For all of those that don't really appreciate the movie when he appears, you will continue to do so even after this piece.



My personal rate: 8'0 (you will enjoy the funny scenes and it will make you stop and think a bit. Even the guys. I am pretty much sure most women population should love it).


p.s. IMDB peak: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1230414/

Alec Baldwin in better years:(some beautiful images in suit - I just love suits on men :)

and something cool about Meryl Streep -
a good blog article on her and you get to see her in her youth :)


Official movie site: http://www.itscomplicatedmovie.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment