Aug 9, 2010

Das weisse Band / The white ribbon, 2009


Das weisse Band - eine deutsche Kindergeschichte / The white ribbon, 2009
Director: Michael Haneke
Cast: Christian Friedel, Ernst Jacobi, Leonie Benesch



Stage: Local theatre under stars Dvor


The Ribbon in short:Strange events happen in a small village in the north of Germany during the years just before World War I, which seem to be ritual punishment. The abused and suppressed children of the villagers seem to be at the heart of this mystery


Preps: I wanted to see this movie on Liffe - the movie festival in November 2009 in Ljubljana. I never got the tickets. Now I found another opportunity. Despite the fact that the topic seemed somehow depressive or it could get me in a bad skin, I wanted to see it.


Reality: The movie is static and has a lot of lost stories. You cannot track them easily, as they all seem uncorellated and yet you feel they are. The black and white technique in which the movie is made, draws my attention more to the story rather than on the scenery, which is more or less supposed to be like this.

One hour after the beginning, I am wondering, what am I doing in the theatre. I am bored, nothing seems to be going on - the great "mystery" around the kids doesn't seem to have an ending. I am lacking patience and the director didn't put anything in the movie to keep my curiosity satisfied.

I decided not to see this piece until its ending. The only thing that sparkles my attention is the rough way the parents have been handling things before WW1 and the obedience children needed to follow. To have it in german language, gives the movie the edge that it needed to make it more naci or harsh one, so you get the idea and a deep sigh for not being there and being one of the children. In my opinion, a true and honest exposure of the habits in raising / teaching young people how to behave. But as far as the great mystery is concerned.. my curiosity remained unsatisfied. I didn't care anymore, after one hour the only message in my head was.. thank God I live in present.



My personal rating: 4,0
(suitable for a special state of mind and different mindset. My brains just explode when seeing violence, especially upon children or animals)

Das weisse Band / The white ribbon on IMDB

Its home page

No comments:

Post a Comment