Mar 1, 2012

My Sister's Keeper, 2009


My Sister's keeper, 2009
Director: Nick Cassavetes
Cast: Cameron Diaz, Abigail Breslin, Alec Baldwin


Stage: Home TV selection


My Sister's keeper in short: In Los Angeles, the eleven year old Anna Fitzgerald seeks the successful lawyer Campbell Alexander trying to hire him to earn medical emancipation from her mother Sara that wants Anna to donate her kidney to her sister. She tells the lawyer the story of her family after the discovery that her older sister Kate has had leukemia; how she was conceived by in vitro fertilization to become a donor; and the medical procedures she has been submitted since she was five years old to donate to her sister. Campbell accepts to work pro bono and the obsessed Sara decides to go to court to force Anna to help her sister.



Preps: None in perticular, one of those days when you just accept what's on TV.


Reality:
Hm. I have always admired Cameron Diaz. Although she seems goofy, I for a fact think she's a rising star in terms of a good serious actress. I loved her in some pieces, yet never have I seen her in a serious role like this. To be in her shoes (the characters) and play it that well, you need to have your stuff together. I am sure she does and I would love to see her in similar roles.
The story revolves around the most serious topics that can happen in one family. How far do you go with donations of an organ? do you give it from your child to one of your other children? Who's entitled to say whether a child will give something or not. The movie starts off with a child seeking legal help in a shape of Alec Baldwin, who gives the girl the courage to fight against the parents that seek for her kidney. To give it to her sister.
Somehow it reminds me of the movie The Island, a movie, where a person's stunt (double) is made, for it to perceive (keep) the organs the true donor might sometimes need. In this case, there's a trade with people and their organs. A good piece. In this case it's a child, that was made only to become a donor for the older sister. And refuses to take the roll.. The fight between the mother and her child is devastating, it tears your soul when watching. It is important to keep in mind that every single one of your children is unique and you should at least try to love them the same, not take something for granted, like the kidney for the sister. After all, if the little one was given a choice, I believe she would give the kidney by herself. People.. we are creatures with souls. Noone wants anything in their world to be taken for granted. But if given a choice, we can do miracles.
A good piece, filled with grief over loss to come. Cameron Diaz plays a brilliant role, so mature and breathtaking.. I just adore good dramas, I adore when they make me cry at least a bit. Because then I know they touched me deep inside. This piece has all the features the great dramas have. The most important, it is realistic. You can easily depict yourself in a situation like this and live it through, learn from it.


My personal rating: 7,0 (solid, good piece, worth seeing. I love to think about the things that are given to me and I need to be grateful for).


My Sister's keeper on IMDB

No comments:

Post a Comment