Dec 30, 2010

The Family Stone, 2005


The Family Stone
Director: Thomas Bezucha
Cast: Sarah Jessica Parker, Claire Danes, Diane Keaton, Dermot Mulroney



Stage: Home theatre


The Family Stone in short: The Stone family unites in common cause when their favorite son brings his uptight girlfriend home for the Christmas holiday, with plans of proposing. Overwhelmed by the hostile reception, she begs her sister to join her for emotional support, triggering further complications.

Preps: None, I don't think I ever heard of this. I just popped onto this piece when circling around my movie database.


Reality: One of less attractive scenes of all times - the point when a guy brings his high girlfriend to his home, wants her to feel welcome and all sorts of funny activities happen or actions being taken in order to make her feel pleasant or in this case, unpleasant.

One of less attractive in my opinion, because the dialogues lack courage or intelligence, the family simply doesn't seem to fit (they aren't really convincing) and I lack interest in half an hour to see where the piece is taking me. It would be better to invest some more funds into the story and the flow of all the actions, instead of focusing on other things. It is hardly impossible to bring this to a satisfactory ending. I think the only card played here, is the one where the crowd indulges in the bad scenes and bad things that happen to the new girl in town. But it's an undecent way to go. I have seen many better versions than this one - of the same story. I think Meet the parents did a good job in this field and set some standards, that this piece doesn't meet even by far.



My personal rating: 4,0 (there are some amusing scenes, but you will not lack anything if you skip this movie).


The Family Stone on IMDB

No comments:

Post a Comment